Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Consumer Review ~ Girl on the Street Lindsey Jones




Well, Color Me Happy!
I have noticed a battle of sorts, happening in the eye makeup department...
Whose color is brighter and longer lasting? This Stylista decided to take matters into her own little manicured hands and do a test.
I wanted to compare color intensity, lasting wear and of course the value for the cost.  
We already know about Maybelline’s’ Color Tattoo from our lovely Ashley Rose but how does it hold up against its competitors? 

















Maybelline Color Tattoo: 24 hour crème gel color in 10 shades
I chose the following:






















Almay intense i-color kits:  Powder in 3 varieties - satin, shimmer and smoky, each compact giving you 3 contour shades, for 4 different eye colors: trio for blues, trio for browns, trio for greens and trio for hazels…





















Revlon Colorstay: 16 hour color powder in 64 shades





















Covergirl: Smoky Shadow Blast: Intense color in 6 duos

























L’Oreal infallible: 24 hour color powder in 12 shades





How did they measure up?
Almay intense i-color satin-i kit

Makeup Artists beware! Our eye-shaped compact allows you to create a beautiful mistake-proof look in just three easy steps. Luxuriously rich shades expertly coordinated to intensify the color of your unique eyes. Eye shadows will never look the same.”


Very easy to use, there is a diagram on the back so you can just follow along.  I used #412 trios for blues; it has a copper for the lids, dark brown for the crease and gold for the brow bone.  It requires a liberal application to the lid and brow line but the brown for the crease is rich and creates a nice shadow.  It lived up to it promise of all day wear, after a full shift at work and some playtime, it was still fresh and looked as if I had just put it on.
Rating ~ 4 out of 5 stars, I will be using this again!  If I didn’t have to use so much, it would have gotten five stars.  



Revlon Colorstay ~ #510 Precocious
“16 Hours to...Tempt, Tantalize & Enthrall - Before you need to re-apply.”

I chose a quad with plums and shades of grey.  This one also required a heavy application of color.  There was also a diagram on the back of the palette that made it easy to follow.  There was some flaking on my cheeks.  I suspected that the Revlon/Almay products would be similar and I was right.
Rating 4 out of 5 stars, it loses a point to heavy application. 



Covergirl Smoky Shadow Blast # 815 Bronze Fire
“The two different, specially contoured ends of our Smoky Shadow Blast stick make it easy to create a bold, colorful, smoky eye.”

First off, it was kind of stinky; a big turnoff for me.  I read some reviews posted on the Covergirl website and it was not good at all.  Most of the complaints were about breakage on the first or second use.    
I did not have any breakage, but I did have other problems.  It wasn’t easy to apply the first time, I recommend starting application on the back of your hand, and otherwise it will just stick to your skin and pull it.  It applied fast after that.  I was anxious to get to the final look and went right into the dark color.  Mistake!  It kind of felt like I was just moving around the lighter color, it transferred onto the dark stick.  
As you can see from the photo, there is not much of a difference in color between the two ends.  Lastly, it didn't live up to the all day wear promise, it was in the creases within a few hours and my lids felt glued together.  
I decided to give it a second try, after all this was my first time using this type of make-up.  I applied my trusty primer this go around (I like L’Oreal Decrease) and it performed much better.  I waited for the first color to “dry” before going to the dark.  I also went to the Covergirl website to check out the tutorial, it was way more detailed than the package and the MUA dusted a complementary shade of powder over the entire lid to set the color.  After about 4 hours, the color was fading into the crease and I decided to just give up on it.

Rating 1 out of 5 stars - Considering the cost, $7.48, the most I spent on all five eye shadows, I think I will probably pass on a repurchase once I use this one up.  


L’Oreal infallible ~ Golden Sage #333
“Fade proof, Waterproof, Sweat proof and it even resists creasing”

I was looking for a little variety in my make-up bag so I chose the Golden Sage. From what I understand this is meant to be a stand alone color, promising 24 hour color.  I don’t know many girls that need it for that it for that long.
OMG...Color me gorgeous! I was hesitant about using a green for blue eyes, I have a makeup case full of pinks and taupe but I was pleasantly surprised.  It applied intense right away, no need to keep adding to it, unless you like it super dark.  A bonus...no flaky drop off on my cheeks, and it blended beautifully with a gold I already had.

Rating 5 out of 5 stars ~ A total winner. At $6.97 for one, it wasn’t the most I have spent on makeup.  Great color and it lasted till I took it off, 16 hours later. Never creased and looked fresh the whole time.  
I will be going back for the Midnight Blue.




Maybelline Color Tattoo

24-HR intensity.  Tattoo Tenacity.”



The color was a little intimidating and super dark in the jar, but did not end up the same on my skin.  I had to play with it a bit to figure out the best way to apply.  I started with a Q-tip and ended up using a brush.  Being a cream gel, it does not blend very well.  As far as staying power, it stayed as promised, for me that was over 14 hours. It stayed put, didn’t crease and was never sticky. 



Rating 3 out 5 stars ~ beautiful color but not the easiest to use. I might try another color.



Out of all of these colors, L’Oreal wins hands down.  I am in love with it for sure...I wore that lovely green for three days straight.  



See you next time, 

Girl on the street

Lindsey Jones

writing for Salon Confidential Magazine





















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your feedback.